The three Kalikalos centers are on the eastern slopes of Mt Pelion, 40 km east of the city of Volos.
Travel overland, if you can
It is possible and quite enjoyable to come overland by train or bus (see seat61 or rome2rio). We promote this ecological option with a 15% discount.
Flying from the UK to Greece
Fly direct to Volos (VOL) from London Gatwick via Sunvil holidays or http://www.charterflights.co.uk/flights/greece/volos Air Berlin also fly Vienna to Volos on their subsidiary Nikki Air. Transavia fly Amsterdam to Volos once a week on a Tuesday. From June: Flights available from; LONDON on easyJet and Charterflights.co.uk
Fly to Skiathos Island (JSI) on Thomas Cook/Condor from; Bristol, Manchester, London Stansted or Gatwick, Newcastle, or the East Midlands. Then either take the Ferry to Volos, or the Skiathos Water Taxi over to Katigeorgis in South Pelion. The water taxi transfer costs 40- 50€, with a further €25 taxi fare from Skiathos airport to the water taxi, and a further taxi or hire car to the Kalikalos venues. (1.5 hrs)
Fly to Thessaloniki (SKG), on EasyJet, Ryan air or Jet2.com from many UK airports, then local No. 78 bus (€2), 45 min to the main coach station, followed by a 2½ hour intercity bus trip to Volos (€20). From Volos take taxi (€50/car shared by max.4 passengers) or the pre-booked Kalikalos pickup (€10) to Kissos or Ag Ioannis. We recommend that you book your Thessaloniki—Volos bus by phone (Tel +30 24210 33254 or +30 24210 25527) the day before. The KTEL bus company will hold your reservation up to 30 min before the bus departs. If you are unable to obtain a reservation on the 13:00 or 15:15 bus from Thessaloniki to Volos, please take the next bus to Larissa and change for Volos. We can also organize a shared taxi transport from Thessaloniki Airport right to our center (€220/car max.4passengers, or a taxi-minibus €270/bus, max 8 passengers).
The train from Thessaloniki to Volos is not recommended. It takes many hours especially if it misses the Volos connection in Larissa.
Easy Jet and Olympic air fly Gatwick to Thessaloniki (SKG). Connecting Easy Jet flights are available from Liverpool, Manchester, Belfast, and the four Scottish airports. Typical return fares to Athens/Thessaloniki on Easy Jet from London run as low as £140 if booked well in advance. Aegean Airlines fly London (Heathrow) to Athens/Thessaloniki and currently offer the cheapest return fare, especially if you select a Thursday departure and a Saturday return. British Air fly London Heathrow to Thessaloniki, at a more civilised hour than Easy Jet. From other Airports (Scotland, Belfast etc.) since there are no direct scheduled flights to Greece best options may include KLM via Amsterdam, Air France via Paris, Lufthansa via Frankfurt or CSA via Prague. At various times people have found all of them the best option, often finding the best buy flights on a consolidator such as OPODO or Travelocity.
Swiss air fly Birmingham to Thessaloniki via Zurich.
Ryan air fly London, Stanstead to Thessaloniki.
Fly to Athens (ATH) —the longest journey, and which requires getting from the airport into Athens railway or bus station and probably a night stopover in Athens. Easy Jet fly twice a day to Athens from Gatwick. Aegean Air, British Air and Olympic fly Heathrow to Athens.
The following companies can sometimes find you cheap flights (or use http://www.skyscanner.com/)
- Thomsonfly (Fridays) (0871 231 4869)
- Sunvil (Fridays) (020 8758 4758)
- Islands of Greece (0845 675 2600)
Via Corfu. There are frequent flights to Corfu from various EU and UK airports, including Bristol. Proceed by ferry to Igoumenitsa. Then take the first bus out to Ioannina, and change for a bus to Volos. A rather round-about trip but feasible and possibly the cheapest route.
Come from continental Europe
There are numerous charters from various French, German, Swiss and Scandinavian cities to Athens, Thessaloniki (Halkidiki) and Skiathos. From Berlin try Ryanair to Athens, from Köln and Stuttgart try German Wings to Thessalonki. Aegean flies from Frankfurt to Thessaloniki. German Wings, Condor and Bravo Fly from Düsseldorf, Stuttgart, München, Köln to Thessaloniki. Air Berlin flies direct to Volos via Vienna. Transavia offer cheap flights to Athens, And Amsterdam to Volos. From Italy fly with Ryanair or take the overnight ferry to Igoumenitsa from Ancona, Brindisi, Venice or Trieste and then proceed by local bus to Ioannina, and then on to Volos via Larissa.
AMSTERDAM on Transavia, BRUSSELS on TUI, VIENNA on Austrian, and MUNICH on Condor In May June and July prices can be as low as £40 one way. Book fast, these won’t last. Departure times also vary from the red-eye 05.10 or 06.05 from AMS or BRU, to the eminently reasonable 17.25 from Vienna or passable 09.50 from Munich.
Athens to Volos
From Athens airport
Bus X95 goes to Syntagma or Omonia Square where there are many budget hotels. Bus X93 will take you direct to the Liossion street bus terminal (45 min) where you can get a bus to Volos. Bus X93 departs every 25 minutes, operates from 00:35 – 23:55 and is located between exit 4 and 5 at the arrival level. The metro goes direct from the airport to Omonia or Syntagma square in central Athens.
KTEL buses for Volos leave from Liossion Terminal B near Kato Patissia metro station (Gousiou St., a side street off 260 Liossion street). The trip takes about four hours. The 13:30 bus is the last one to get our €10 Friday pickup. The 09:00 a.m. bus is the last one to catch the 13:30 local bus to Kissos (€6.00). As Friday is often a busy travel day in Greece, we suggest that you pre-book your Athens–Volos bus ticket in advance: Call 0030 24210 33254 or 0030 2310 595 424 (they speak English).
The Athens – Volos bus (4 hours) leaves at: 07:00, 09:00, 10:30, 12:00, 13:30, 15:00, 16:30, 18:00, 20:00, and 22:00. heck here to confirm bus schedules: http://ktelvolou.gr/en/routes/map/&map=greece
The beautiful Athens to Volos train journey takes 5.5 hours. It requires a platform change at Larissa which can be challenging for those with mobility issues or heavy luggage. Be aware that Greek trains can only be pre-booked in person at the train station, and are often fully booked on Fridays.
The Acropolis, Athens
Staying in Athens
- Budget Hotels and Hostels (€35-40) in Central Athens
- Hotel Exarheion, +30 210 380 0731 or +30 210 380 1256 (€50)
- Hotel Kimon, 27 Apollonos street, near the Cathedral. Tel 210 331 4658, fax 210 321 4203
- Marina Hotel, 13 Voulgari str. 10437 (Near Larissa Station) €30/room, Tel 210 520 0660, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Backpackers.gr is an Aussie-run upmarket hostel that, aside from €15 dorms, and €25 singles, also has 3 person apartments for €80 euros. Metro: Akropoli.
- Mid-Range: The Dorian Innhttp://www.dorianinnhotel.com/ just off Omonia square has a superb rooftop terrace, restaurant and swimming pool with superb views of the Acropolis, and can sometimes have advance rooms for €75
- Athens Backpackers Hostel
Stay with the Kalikalos Athens representative Geoffrey Wallace Tel: +30 210 923 0491 who is happy to put up 1 or 2 people in a old-world house in a peaceful precinct in the very heart of Athens (€24/night).
Other very dear friends of Kalikalos, Tracy Seed and Michael Haides offer Double rooms, the cost is €25.00 per night with breakfast, shared dorm space available €15.00 per night. They maybe willing in some situations to consider work exchange instead of payment. Their address is: 31 Gounari St, Agia Paraskevi, 15343 Athens. Tel. 00 30 693 922 6788 Michael’s email is email@example.com. The bus X 95 takes you to Agia Paraskevi square (20 minutes), their house is just 5 min walk from the square. Their house is located close to the Metro and coach station to travel to Pelion and of course Michael is a great person to give guests clear directions and support. Michael can even collect people from the airport for a fee.
Thessaloniki to Volos
Buses to Volos
From Thessaloniki airport, Bus No. 78 departs every half hour and goes to the main intercity coach station. In July and August the 11:00 a.m. bus will allow you to reach Volos in time to catch the local bus out to Ag. Ioannis/Kissos (€6). The 15:15 from Thessaloniki is the latest bus allowing you to get to Volos in time for our Friday €10 pickup. As Friday is a busy travel day for Greeks, we suggest that you pre-book your tickets in advance: Tel 0030 24210 33254 or 0030 2310 595 424. (English is spoken.)
Bus schedule from Thessaloniki to Volos: 08:15, 11:00, 13:15, 15:15, 17:15, 19:15, 21:15, 23:00
A taxi costs about 225 euros, so is only practical with 3 or 4 people. Contact us if you wish to arrange this option and coordinate with other travellers.
Staying in Thessaloniki
- Budget Hotels (€25-35) in Central Thessaloniki
- Hotel Acropol, Tel. 2310 536 170 at 4 Tantalidou Street, off Egnatia Street
- Hotel Atlantis, Tel 2310 540 131, Egnatia 14 (8 min walk from Train station. Also, from outside the hotel the No. 2 and 8 buses go to IKEA where there is a frequent 10 min shuttle to the airport.)
- Hotel Alexandria, Tel +30 2310 536185, Egnatia 18. Bus 8, 12, 31, 45a from Central bus station, alight Columbus. www.alexandriahotel.gr/en/homepage.asp
- Hotel Averof, Tel. 2310 538 498, Leontos Sofou 24
- Higher standard (€40-55) hotels (Book them through the web for best deals.)
- Hotel Avra near the airport (€35-45) 2, Ambelokipon, 570 19, Peraia, Macedonia Airport Phone: +30 23920 26236, 24271 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel Pella, 63 I. Dragoumi street, Tel, +30 2310 524221 or 555550-3.
- Hotel Orestias Kastorias, 14, Agnost. Stratiotou street, Tel. +30 2310 276517 or 269815
- Hotel Aegeon, (€45) Egnatia Street 19, Tel. 2310 522 922.
- Staying in Volos and Volos to Kalikalos Centres
- Pelion Touristic Opportunities
Kalikalos Pick-up from Volos
On most, but not all weeks, Kissos and Anilio campuses make a pick-up to collect their new guests from Volos Central Bus station and Volos train station (€ 10), occasionally from Volos Airport (€ 22). Alternatively, all three campuses can help coordinate you with a shared taxi (€50 from Volos Central Bus station,€80 from Volos Airport). Please get in contact with the appropriate campus at least 48 hours before arrival to let us know how you are coming and to confirm if pick- ups will be available. If you arrive in Volos on the morning of your program please get the 13:30/14:00 hr local bus (about €6.00) to Kissos Parking area if you stay in Kissos or Anilio or Ag Ioannis endstation if you will stay at the Alexandros Campus.
Volos to Kissos or Agios Ioannis bus
To get to Kissos or Agios Ioannis, the local Pilio bus from Volos leaves daily at 05.30 and 14:00 (13:30 in May, early June and September). It takes a scenic route around the mountain peninsula before arriving at Kissos two and a half hours, and Agios Ioannis two and three quarters of an hours later.
Pre-booked taxi costs 50 euros. We recommend our driver Christos (0030) 697 401 5669. Other drivers may ask for more, in that case be firm and insist.
- For Kissos, tell the driver to take you to the Kissos Platia (village square). Kalikalos is 40 meters up the road from there.
- For Alexandros, tell the driver to take you to hotel Alexandros, Anilio – Plaka Beach, (Close to hotel Eden).
- For Anilio, tell the driver to take you to the Anilio Platia (village square). Then call the Anilio Center 24260 32176 at so they can direct the driver the last 200 meters.
Staying in Volos
Coming to Volos earlier gives you a leisurely night and morning in this pleasant small city. It is also your last chance to get euros, since there are no ATM machines near our Centres. Here are some options for Volos hotels on a budget (25-35 euros).
- Hotel Roussa, near the Hospital, Iatrou Tzanou street 1, Tel +30 24210 21732.
- Friendly, clean and inexpensive, the Hotel Roussa is about 2 km from the bus or train stations. The €6,50 bus to Kissos stops just outside the hospital at 13:35 on Friday. See map of Volos city. The owner, Nikos, speaks English and he is usually on duty from 11 am to 1 pm and again after 5 pm.
- Hotel Kipseli (Tel. 24210 24420), downtown
- Hotel Galaxy, near seafront, Ag. Nikolau 3, (Tel. 24210 20750) €42
- Jason Hotel, corner of Mela and Argonafton streets, near the port: (Tel.24210 26075) €30.
- Stay with Kalikalos staffer, Hara Solidatou, Alekou Panagoli 42, (Text her mobile: +30 697 3460 685), €15
Stay in Kalikalos after your workshop
Workshop participants who like to stay at Kalikalos Kissos or Anilio for an extended time are welcome as Living-In-Community guests, to board with us for €300-450 a week and take full advantage of this gorgeous region.
Should you want to stay on a day or two after your workshop finishes we may be able to host you as a short term guest (€42—€55/day). There are also pleasant local alternatives for all budgets. Most rooms (called “domatia”) in Kissos are on the paved main road near the village square, a 5 to 8 minute walk from the Kalikalos Center. Most rooms have an en suite shower and toilet and are priced officially at 40 euros and up, though prices are often negotiable, especially in the months of June and September.
Hire a car
If you are coming with friends or family, consider renting a car at the arrival airport. The best deals recently were at www.121carhire.com. A small car rented for 7 days costs about €200. Divided by 3 or 4 people this might work out to be affordable and give you the opportunity of making independent excursions once you are here. Instructions for driving including GPS coordinates are available from the www.pilioncentre.com website.
Camp in Chorefto or Ag. Ioannis
If you have tent and sleeping bag, there is a full service camping site with chalets to rent at the Papa Nero beach in Ag Ioannis, tel. (+30) 24260 31319, €6/night with small tent. The far north end of Chorefto beach is naturist and you can pitch your own tent there except in August when the tourist police make the occasional symbolic clearout, obliging everyone to pack up and leave for a day or two.
Depart from Kalikalos
We encourage participants to travel through Greece before and/or after their stay at Kalikalos. Those participants who plan to fly out of the country when their program ends should note that the trip to Athens takes six hours, and Thessaloniki four, and return flights should be planned accordingly.
Contact our Kalikalos EU representative for travel assistance
Lars Pers Vag 8
Tel: +46 2904006