Volunteer at Kalikalos
Each season, people come from all around the world to volunteer at the Kalikalos Holistic Centre. Volunteers participate in our Community Systems and assist the Core Team in holding the container for our workshops. We look especially for individuals with a holistic perspective and ideally some community experience who enjoy working with groups. Skills in group process, healing, maintenance, vegetarian cookery, gardening, vehicle mechanics, and fluency in Greek language are especially helpful!
The text below describes volunteering during the regular season, when our focus as a staff is holding the container for workshops. Please note that volunteering at the beginning and end of each season is a bit different from volunteering during the regular season described below. Generally speaking, during Setup and Packup periods our focus is mainly on the work of setting up for the upcoming season or packing things away at the completion of the season. While we might work a bit more each day than during the regular season, at the same time our rhythms and schedules may be a bit more flexible and relaxed. There is also a discounted contribution during these periods. Please refer to the right hand side of this page for dates and pricing.
Working Together for the Benefit of the Whole Community
Rota System. All members of the community – Core Team, volunteers, FIRs, guests and workshop participants – contribute to our lives together by participating in our Rota System, which governs how we prepare our meals and clean up after dinner. Each member is asked to contribute a certain number of shifts each week, depending on the role in the community. Volunteers can generally expect to be asked to sign up for between three and six shifts per week, depending on the number of volunteers present.
Daily Tasks and Ongoing Projects. We also ask each staff member to contribute to our shared work between the hours of 09:30 and 13:30 each day, and some days during the evening shift between 18:00 and 20:00. This amounts to about 25-30 hours per week for each volunteer, with one full day off each week. Each staff member signs up for one or more Daily Tasks (for example housekeeping, tidying, gardening, etc.) which they will do daily for at least one week. Additionally, volunteers may choose to join a team working on a larger project that may last a day or two or all week.
Other Ways to Contribute. Depending on the needs of the community and your particular skills and interests, you may also have the opportunity to offer in other ways. For example:
- Be a driver, taking guests to and from the beach in a centre vehicle (volunteers older than 25, with an EU or UK driving license or International Driving Permit).
- Maintain and improve our physical structures, for example helping with plumbing, electrics, carpentry and stone masonry.
- Help out with administrative and technical tasks.
To learn more about the rota system and daily tasks, please see this description of our Inclusion & Participation System.
Benefits of Volunteering
In exchange for the weekly volunteer fee and work contributions described above, each volunteer receives:
- Embodied learning of holistic principles and community skills by participating in our Community Systems.
- Regular opportunities for sharing and connection with other community members.
- Clean and comfortable accommodation, usually in a tent (other accommodation may be available depending on availability and possibly for an additional fee).
- Three healthy vegetarian meals and a morning snack.
- Daily transport to and from the local beaches.
- Discounted workshop attendance, after you have already volunteered for a minimum of three weeks and depending on the needs of the community.
- Discounted access to offerings from our Facilitators in Residence, not to interfere with work contributions as described above.
Want to know more about our community philosophy, how we operate and our daily rhythms? Visit our Community Page for all the details.
New for 2022, we have implemented an application process for people interested in joining our team as volunteers:
- Complete and submit an online application form by clicking either of the “Apply Online” buttons appearing above.
- After we review your application form, we will schedule a 30 minute Zoom interview with you.
- Following the interview, we will assess whether to accept your application or if other steps are needed.
- Once you are accepted, a member of our team will register you directly into our booking system.
Ready to apply? Click either of the “Apply Online” buttons appearing above. Please contact us if you have any questions.
PLEASE NOTE the information about availability of Volunteer positions appearing on the right side of this page.