Facilitator in Residence (FIR)
Be a Facilitator in Residence (FIR) at Kalikalos
Facilitators in Residence (FIRs) are part time volunteers who also offer holistic services to the community. Over the years our FIRs have offered all types of yoga, massage, art therapy, voice and singing, Feldenkrais method, theatre, dance, aromatherapy, creative writing, meditation, astrology, Sociocracy etc.
FIRs are welcome to offer both group and one-on-one sessions, usually for a modest fee or donation. Typically FIRs charge 15 to 35 euros per private session, while some work on a donation or exchange basis. FIRs are welcome to offer their services at any time, with awareness of the daily schedule of workshop sessions and volunteer work contributions.
Our FIR program welcomes practitioners of any holistic discipline to join as part time volunteers for one or more weeks, offering their services to our participants, guests and volunteers on an ad-hoc basis. For a €135/week reservation fee (minimum one week), we offer food and accommodation to a limited number of qualified facilitators. While coming to Kalikalos as an FIR is an opportunity for an inexpensive working holiday, please note that FIRs are part time volunteers. See the next section for more details about the work expectations.
Working Together for the Benefit of the Whole Community
Rota System. All members of the community – Core Team, volunteers, FIRs, guests and workshop participants – contribute to our lives together by participating in our Rota System, which governs how we prepare our meals and clean up after dinner. Each member is asked to contribute a certain number of shifts each week, depending on the role in the community. An FIR can generally expect to be asked to sign up for between three and five shifts per week, depending on the number of staff members present.
Daily Tasks and Ongoing Projects. We also ask each staff member to contribute to our shared work between the hours of 09:30 and 13:30 each day, and some days during the evening shift between 18:00 and 20:00. This amounts to about 20-25 hours per week for an FIR, with two full days off each week. Each FIR signs up for one or more Daily Tasks (for example housekeeping, tidying, gardening, etc.) which they will do daily for at least one week.
To learn more about the rota system and daily tasks, please see this description of our Inclusion & Participation System.
Benefits of Becoming an FIR
In exchange for the weekly FIR fee and work contributions described above, each FIR receives:
- Embodied learning of holistic principles and community skills by participating in our Community Systems.
- Regular opportunities for sharing and connection with other community members.
- The opportunity to contribute to members of the community by offering their unique skills and expertise.
- Clean and comfortable accommodation in a tent or a room in the house, depending on availability.
- Three healthy vegetarian meals and a morning snack.
- Daily transport to and from the local beaches.
Want to know more about our community philosophy, how we operate and our daily rhythms? Visit our Community Page for all the details.
New for 2022, we have implemented an application process for people interested in joining our team as FIRs:
- Complete and submit an online application form by clicking either of the “Apply Online” buttons appearing above.
- After we review your application form, we will schedule a 45 minute Zoom interview with you.
- Following the interview, we will assess whether to accept your application or if other steps are needed.
- Once you are accepted, a member of our team will register you directly into our booking system.
Ready to apply? Click either of the “Apply Online” buttons appearing above. Please contact us if you have any questions.
PLEASE NOTE the information about availability of FIR positions appearing on the right side of this page.